Thursday, October 27, 2016

And Pandy Makes Three

Our Pandy girl running at the beach 

Dear Pepsi,

I know you were happy with it being just you and Pearly. I was happy as well; however, my heart strings were tugged when I heard the story of Pandy's short and difficult life. She lived under a trailer with her mom and sister, frequently picked up by animal control until her owner paid for them to be released, only to get picked up again. Finally he left them at animal control who called the Golden Retriever Rescue to come get them. When we went to visit her she was terrified and jittery. When I approached her she ran. She had no interest in playing with you or Pearl. She was broken and had zero trust. Your dad was with us that day, and even though he lived in the Bay Area, he said let's take her. Of course the "let's" meant "us". Her foster parents were very nice and I could tell the mom, Keena, was struggling with letting her go. When Aunt Diane and I went to pick her up, Keena was crying. I told her she could change her mind, I hadn't made a full connection yet and I would understand. She paused and then reluctantly handed her over and in that momentary transfer she became ours.  

The trio at Higgins beach

I know you were not thrilled when she would try to cozy up to you. In the beginning you would jump off the bed or couch, snub any attempt she made to be close to you. You only played with Pearl while she stood by watching. Pandy didn't know much about toys or how to play with them, even at 8 months. Noises would make her jump and  she ran if you tried to put a leash on her. She got car sick every time we went somewhere so I had to be sure not to feed her before we went to the park. Just about everything terrified her. While Pearl was happy to play with her, you were still Pearl's first choice. I can't recall when you began to let her lay next to you but you slowly warmed up to her. She wore you down. You even started to paw at her when Pearl didn't want to play, which was a grand overture on your part. Over time you came to be a threesome with Pandy starting to trust us as a family. Of course she still runs out the dog door when the toaster beeps, the freezer door is opened,  I pull out the vacuum cleaner or hairdryer, but you know what I mean, she has come a long way.

Three sisters hanging out

When I first brought Pearl home I felt guilty that I didn't love her as much as you. I confessed this shameful secret to your vet who assured me in due time I would. And I did, my love for Pearly is different but as deep.  When I brought Pandy to our family I had similar concerns; however, I also had dark thoughts that if something happened to you or Pearl at least I would not be left alone. My cousin Joy said she purposely staggered her dogs for that reason. I know no one could replace you, or Pearly for that matter. Some holes will never be filled. You are all one of a kind, but you are also the first of this extended pack. You are the matriarch and reign supreme. Pandy glows when you show her attention or let her cuddle near you without moving away, which is great because I love falling asleep with the three of you surrounding me.


Sleeping tight

We grow our hearts big to love more than we think ourselves capable. We did that when Pearly came to us after the devastating loss of Maddie, and we did it again when Pandy joined our family. Love heals the wounded like Pandy who have endured cruelty and need to learn to trust again. You withheld for a while but ultimately let her in and we are the better for it. Thanks for that baby girl.

Love you so much,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment