Sunday, October 23, 2016

Best Friends Forever: When One Door Closes Another One Opens

Pepsi and her BFF Maddie

Dear Pepsi,

I never thought it possible for two dogs to become best friends until you and Maddie. When you were a puppy I walked the trail along the bay without you while waiting for you to finish your 4 month quarantine until your final Rabies and booster shots. I often passed a woman who walked with her red Golden Retriever and it made me think how much I was looking forward to walking you on the trail everyday. I stopped to chat with the woman one day and pet the dog. This led to a longer conversation about our lives and dogs, and it seemed we had much in common. I learned the woman was close to my age, newly single, and lived right around the corner. Her name was Cecelia and the dog's name was Maddie. I had a good feeling about her and said I would be bringing you on the trail soon and perhaps we could walk together. 

Proud pet mommies 

The weeks passed and before you know it we becomes a foursome. Cecelia told me about the Golden Retriever meet up on Sunday mornings at 7am at Point Isabelle Dog Park on the Bay, off leash for the doggies and a cafe for the pet parents. Meeting a  new friend is always nice; however, what was so remarkable was the way you and Maddie got on. You were like two peas in a pod, playing and only having eyes for each other.When we walked anywhere near the their street you pulled me in the direction of Cecelia and Maddie's house. Cecelia and I started going to the movies  and dinner, I brought her into my circle of friends and we spent many hours just watching you guys play. Smiles were plastered across our face, and whatever personal or work stress we were experiencing (and there was quite a bit), you brought us to a happy place. It was a match made in heaven all around.  

Playing on the trail

In the water after fetching balls

When I was at work, if Cecelia was free, she would come fetch you and I would do the same for Maddie. Cecelia decided to buy a house a short drive away; however, we continued to walk and spend lots of time together. it all seemed perfect until one day when I got an email from Cecelia, who was too upset to talk, that Maddie had suddenly died. She came home from work at lunch and she was dead. I hadn't known grief like that for a long time. My gut felt carved out and hollow, I simply could not believe Maddie was gone. Rena, Jonathan and I were in a daze. We piled in the car and drove to Cecelia's house. We found a distraught Cecelia and we all cried together. Rena said something strange had happened earlier that day, around the time Maddie was thought to have died. Rena came over from her San Francisco apartment to study and get some stress release time with you. She said she found you in a corner in the living room and you would not, budge when she tried to hug you an cuddle. Very unusual. You would not leave that space for anything, as if you were inconsolable. She found it strange and wondered if you were sick but there were no signs if illness. 

BFFs at China Camp

Now some people might think that a silly tale, heavily foreshadowed by fantasy, but Cecelia and I knew better. You felt her leaving you, your other half. Of course no one can prove it but I knew the connection was deep and real. You never played with any other dogs than her. You were always friendly but never engaged other than Maddie. We often walked with a pack of dogs and people on the trail but you stuck to Maddie and only Maddie. After that day you sunk into a depressive state. I tried everything to cheer you up but you weren't having it. You pulled me towards Cecelia's old house when I took you to the trail. The depth of all our grief was unbearable. I physically ached. As a known fixer I started combing the advertisements looking for a Golden Retriever puppy to fill the cavernous hole left by Maddie's death. I had to do something because the pain was excruciating. 

You and Maddie playing on my bed

I found an ad for a puppy about an hour south in Gilroy. There were three girl puppies about 14 weeks old and I took you with me thinking you would pick the puppy.  We walked into a large yard where three pussies were playing. Instantly two came over to me and were viewing for my attention. You stood at the edge of the fence looking uninterested and eager to leave. The third puppy went to you and would not leave your side. You tried to ditch her several times but she was persistent.  She was the runt of the litter, small but tough. I was told a bit rambunctious - code for difficult. I liked her spunk and her determination to win you over. We'll take her I said, handed them a $400 check and drove north. I called the vet and let them know we would be coming for a quick check up. Rena and I had the whole thing planned, we would show up at Cecelia and surprise her with the puppy and hopefully we all might find some solace in this new baby girl.

First meeting

When Cecelia answered the door she was surprised alright. The baby was so precious, so tiny being a runt, even though she 14 weeks. We all gushed over her but you were not sold on this new creature who wanted to be with you every minute. We left Cecelia to get aquatinted with the new pup and were anxious to see her the next day. We went by early in the morning to check on them and Cecelia said she named her Pearl. I loved the name and it seemed they were getting on well; however, later that afternoon Cecelia called me and said how much she loved me for getting the Pearl but it was too soon after Maddie's death.  I swallowed hard and said no problem, I will come get her. I understood and scolded myself for acting prematurely, no matter how good my intentions. Within a few hours I had offers to take her and pay me the $400 but something in me refused. I had already invested emotionally in her and perhaps it was a distraction from my grief. It didn't really matter, I just knew she belonged to us. 




It took you a minute, and I worried that you might never warm up to her but you did and she became the only dog you would play with, as it remains until this very day. Every now and then Pandy might get a rise out of you, or Pac, but since you let Pearl into your heart it has only belonged to her. It was no surprise a few months after we took Pearl I received a call from Cecelia saying she was sure she knew the answer to her question, but was there any chance she could change her mind about Pearl? Of course you know I said no, Pearly has become your sister and companion. And while I know how much you both love each other, I also know that Maddie was special and irreplaceable. You never stopped tugging to get her house when we passed her old street on the way to the trail. BFF means just that, your best friend forever, no matter what. 

You and Maddie playing at China camp

We are so lucky to have best friends and the love and joy they bring us, right baby girl? And that's what you are to me my Peps, always and forever.

Love,

Mom

2 comments:

  1. Pepsi, you are an old soul and wise. To the end of my days I'll remember the first time I saw you after losing my beloved Maddy. Your mom insisted that it was time for me to stop by for a "Pepsi fix". I sat down on the sofa and you came over, jumped up and settled right beside me, leaning into me with all your gentle weight. You sighed a deep, sorrowful sigh with me and we just sat there together for a while. Most of the time in our lives words are really unnecessary. Connections beyond our own species make that even more evident. I thank your mom for keeping me posted over the years about you. In spite of the sharp ache I'm feeling, knowing your life may be running down the clock now, if there's any logic in the Universe, you and Maddy will soon be tramping through the brush, each with an end of a branch in your mouths, full of joy and fun. That will get me by for now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear friend I so feel you. Those were great days with our two girls. Thanks for your comment, you friendship over the years means so much to us. xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete